Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hello There...

 My name is Jonty Kershaw. I breathe martial arts.

My training in the martial arts started when I was 4. My father, a student of  Mitsusuke Harada Sensei, had me in the back yard trying to punch holes in newspaper. Martial arts has been in my life ever since. I have been through different stages in my growth as a martial artist, starting with the Japanese/Okinawan arts, moving to the harder and more acrobatic Chinese arts, then to the more internal Daoist martial arts. The last six years has been mostly devoted to studying the Indonesian arts.

I recently "met" Steven Vance online. My main Chinese style, Kunlun Mountain Fist, is suspiciously similar to the art of Kunlunquan, and we got to discussing the possible history and connections of these two arts and all the other arts that claim the name "Kunlun." We also both have a similar love of the Indo arts and a distaste for the politics involved in studying them.

We have started this association as a sort of modern version of the traditional "martial arts preservation societies." We don't know exactly where this will go, but for now we will be focusing on researching the Kunlun and Indonesian arts, and also writing about the role of the warrior in the modern world.

If you love the martial arts and are willing to set aside ego and politics, we invite you to join us.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Jonty. I tried emailing you back the other day, but my emails have been undeliverable. Is everything okay?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very welcome. We do have a standard of objective and polite discussion, so keep it clean and whine-free.